Monday, June 16, 2014

Solemn Little Boy

It's been a couple of days since my last posting - I just took a break; no chance of running out of rescues  any time soon.

This photo was purchased in Elgin, Texas.  I couldn't resist this serious little boy in his dapper outfit.  This photo dates to the 1920s and the reverse has the familiar postcard markings.


The little gentleman is identified as Billy Hugh Simmons.  I wasn't able to dig out much information on Billy aside from the vital statistics.

Billy Hugh Simmons was born on April 7, 1921, in Dallas, to parents William Leander and Viona (Murley) Simmons.  In 1940 William was a night operator in the concrete operations of what I believe was a construction company.  The family was living in Greenville, Hunt County at the time of the 1930 and 1940 censuses.

On September 21, 1942, Billy Hugh Simmons enlisted to serve in World War II.  From what I could find, it appears he served in the Medical Administrative Corps of the Army.  I was unable to find a marriage record, but it appears that he married to Eva Francis Loftis after his service stint.  I found four birth records with parents Billy Simmons and Eva Loftis:  Billy Wayne Simmons, Eva Sandra Simmons, Robert Lee Simmons and Craig Allen Simmons.

Billy Hugh Simmons died on April 7, 1989, in Dallas, and is buried in Grove Hill Memorial Park.

It is always a little hard to find information for those whose lives extend into recent history, so we don't know much more about Billy Hugh except the basic vital statistics.

But I found it interesting to look into the eyes of this unsmiling little boy.  Can one see the hint of a soldier and father to be?

LSW

No comments:

Post a Comment